The poor lemon is a very under estimated fruit but it’s benefits are amazing… It can be used as a cleaning product, to make tasty desserts, to preserve the life of flowers plus many more. So the next time you’re at the supermarket don’t walk past this fantastic fruit without giving it a second glance, it’s more useful than you may of initially thought!! I have found 10 different ways to use the lemon in our households.
1. Lemons in flowers
2. Lemon tea
3. Lemons for cleaning
4. Lemon ice cubes
5. Lemon chicken
6. Lemon sherbet squares
7. Honey and lemon
8. Dehydrated lemons
9. Preserved lemons
10. Freshen up your fridge with lemons
1. Lemon in flowers…. I know this sounds rather strange but putting some chopped slices of lemons in a vase will prolong the life of the flowers, it stops the bacteria and fungus growing.
2. Lemon tea….. This hot beverage is so good for me, it helps to keep my skin clear, a brilliant digestive aid and also fantastic to aid for weight loss, keeping me hydrated throughout the day.
3. Lemons in cleaning …. These are great for cleaning chrome or a wooden chopping board, cut your lemon in half, add a pinch of salt and rub over the chopping board, this will kill the germs.
4. Lemons ice cubes….. Fantastic to add to drinks in the summer months, lovely and refreshing.
5. Lemon chicken……. A beautiful tasty summer dish, it’s quick, easy and always popular.
6. Lemon sherbet squares…… These are so delicious, the recipe can be found at www.theherbdiaries.com
7. Honey and lemon……. I never under estimate the power of this drink if I have a cold or a sore throat, it has antibacterial properties and reduces swelling.
8. Dehydrated lemons…… A tradition in our household, they give off a wonderful scent and also look great hanging on the Christmas Tree.
9. Preserved lemons…….. Always great to have preserved lemons around, I always seem to need them at unexpected times, it’s great to have a stash to hand.
10. Freshening the fridge with lemons……. I do this most weeks, I chop a lemon in half and leave it in the fridge overnight on a saucer, the lemon will adsorb any odours.
So there you have it, I use this brilliant fruit daily, it’s so good for us and is full of vitamin c…. They are best eaten in the months of May, June, July and August… Hope you have a fabulous summer using these amazing fruits!!